Saturday, January 15, 2011

Superhero Love Story

I hate to admit it, but I love listening to a little Top 40 radio, and one song that's in heavy rotation these days is a sweet little ballade with the not so sweet title of "Grenade." A love song named after an exploding weapon (or a person to whom one is not physically attracted if you're a "Jersey Shore" fan)? OK, not my first choice, but the song's got a lot of heart, especially as sung by the adorable Bruno Mars. Here's a sample from the chorus:

I'd catch a grenade for ya
Throw my hand on a blade for ya
I'd jump in front of a train for ya
You know I'd do anything for ya

I can already hear the ear-piercing screams from the legion of tween girls when they hear this because for them, it's the ultimate love story. It's a superhero love story, in fact, and for young girls, and boys, for whom romantic love is a mystery that they're trying to unfurl, this song rings true. The tween world largely consists of fantasy with avatars, video games, over-merchandised Iron Man/Spider Man movie franchises, and teen idols like Miley and Katy Perry occupying a neon-colored, candy-coated universe to which parents are not invited!

I'm at a point in my life where I don't want my husband to catch a grenade for me, but I'd love it if he made the run to Pet Smart for more cat litter. Maybe, instead of throwing a hand on a blade for you, your honey could put that hand on some garbage bags and take the trash out (this is gender neutral, people, I'm a proud hauler of the family garbage, thank you!!). I know this doesn't make for a very romantic radio-friendly song, but I'm a realist. Sure, the Superhero may be a help when you're in imminent danger from a speeding train, a blade, or a grenade, but a guy like that obviously has impulse control issues, and who needs that??

I'm just saying!

No comments:

Post a Comment