Thursday, February 10, 2011

Seeing Red

Well, with the heavy rotation of TV ads for adults-only creams and gels, diamonds, chocolates, and the over-abundance of Victoria's Secret catalogs in my mailbox, it can only mean one thing - that's right, Valentine's Day.

Valentine's Day used to send shudders up and down my spine when I was single - mostly because you never knew what was in store for you. It was either going to be the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. One of the worst Valentine's Days was during my first year of grad school. I worked on campus in the basement office of the university chapel, and there I sat, surrounded by several other workmates, all of us dateless, eating the tuna salad leftover from the dean's weekly luncheon, from a canary yellow Tupperware bowl.

It's such a lot of pressure for everyone - whether or not you're involved. "Will you be my Valentine?" may seem, on the surface, to be a question asked in complete innocence. But once you strip away the cards, candies, flowers, and the diaper-wearing, bow and arrow-wielding cherub, you get to the core question, which is, "Do you desire me?" or, "Do you still desire me?" and that's a scary question because what if the answer is, "no"?

But, what if the answer is "yes"? I'm just saying:)

No comments:

Post a Comment